Stargate Command
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Of all the gin joints...
by Logan Echolls Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:26 pm

» Home sweet home
by Sarah Yadin Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:09 pm

» Echolls, Logan
by Sarah Yadin Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:01 pm

» Application for Veronica Mars
by Veronica Mars Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:23 am

» Grace [Sarah/Dan/Invite]
by Sarah Yadin Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Site Contribution

Grace [Sarah/Dan/Invite]

2 posters

Go down

Grace [Sarah/Dan/Invite] Empty Grace [Sarah/Dan/Invite]

Post by Sarah Yadin Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Sarah walked into the mess holding the file Adir had sent. It had been days since it had arrived, but she still couldn't bring herself to look at its contents. She eyed it for a moment before tossing it down with a slap on the nearest empty table.

Her stomach growled though she'd become an expert at ignoring it. She fixed herself some tea and grabbed a sweet roll, not wanting to upset her stomach anymore by giving it something worth digesting.

She'd work the roll off later.

Sarah sat alone and held the mug to her lips, feeling the heat of the steam condense on her nose, but not taking a sip.

The manila envelope held the results of Adir's investigation into Iran.

She craved the comfort only closure could bring.

But opening that Pandora's Box would only bring grief.

Sarah sat on a fence between two extremes, unsure which blend of anguish to sample.
Sarah Yadin
Sarah Yadin
Civilian

Character sheet
Race: Tau'ri (Human)
Sex: Female

Back to top Go down

Grace [Sarah/Dan/Invite] Empty Re: Grace [Sarah/Dan/Invite]

Post by Daniel Blackburne Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Well this was awkward. The mess hall was empty except for Yadin. He and she didn't exactly see eye to eye on the mission. For the most party, he was belligerent, and had found her burdensome. But apparently the universe felt like making him work with her so it was probably worth getting to know the emotional molotov cocktail he'd been dealt as a coworker, and in the otherwise empty mess hall, sitting at another table would be beyond obvious (his size didn't stick out as much at the SGC as he'd thought it would at an underground fortress, so had the room been crowded he could've held off a conversation a little longer).

After grabbing two cheeseburgers (maintaining his size and strength wasn't something that permitted eating clean), he dropped into a seat diagonally across from her at the four-person table, his trained eyes sweeping her for signs of distress or exhaustion or any-bloody-thing he could use to start a conversation without it sounding like a tourist who'd been "touched by the angels". So to speak.

She looked distant. A little afraid. Neither of them were things women enjoyed having applied to them, regardless of accuracy.

Mildly-touched-tourist time it was, then. Until his eyes snagged the envelope with a quick dart of movement.

"What's an envelope in the SGC doing tattooed with a menorah and Proverbs?" he leaned forward, his interest genuinely piqued - humping paperwork that wasn't meant to exist wasn't exactly an alien concept to him.
Daniel Blackburne
Daniel Blackburne
SAS Lieutenant Colonel (UK, US O-5 Equivalent)

Character sheet
Sex: Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Yadin Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Only Sarah's eyes moved as the giant of an Irishman sat across from her. When he noticed the envelope she frowned, her teeth digging into the ceramic mug.

For anyone else her response would be summed up as classified, followed by a relocation of her seat.

For him though...

It still unnerved her that her rescuer was here with her--in particular, the rescuer she'd tried to kill. She wasn't sure if he even recognized her. Of course, she no longer looked like a wraith from a Nazi camp either--so it would be hard for him to.

"It is from my uncle--the results of his investigation into Operation Union."

She set the tea down.

"I'm not sure I want to know."
Sarah Yadin
Sarah Yadin
Civilian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Blackburne Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 pm

"I don't remember any female field agents... not in a hot zone like that, that's a recipe for disaster and another viral decapitation video," Dan sighed, scratching his eyebrow, "Were you one of the handlers or one of the alpha team who ran into weather and resistance before the brute squad got sent in?"

Admittedly, he didn't talk much about work. He remembered almost every detail of every mission vividly, but rescue operations were more routine for him than most people would ever believe. He didn't enjoy them - it was a fine line between success and disaster. There had been times units had been sent in early. Captors were caught off-guard but positions and details hadn't been properly confirmed - people died. There were other times they had arrived too late. A cagey situation had Dan's unit stepping in almost a day after the hostages had been killed - it was more retribution than a late rescue by that point.

Union had gone quite well, though. Only one hostage, so she must've been key to some kind of operation (one of two such hostages Dan had come for in his time with the Regiment - the other one prevented an attack from happening in the heart of Paris). Success was the important part, even though the girl went feral and had tried to shiv him - she was too starved and beaten to do much, though. He distantly remembered being surprised when her arm didn't snap in his grip.

"What ever happened to the hostage anyway?" Dan added, "Or is she 'supposed' to be dead?"
Daniel Blackburne
Daniel Blackburne

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Yadin Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 pm

The room started to spin.

Sarah forced a smile and a nonchalant shrug--though it came out more a grimace and PTSD twitch.

"What, you didn't recognize my blade work on the mats the other day?"

Her eyes locked on the tea cup as if she could watch the molecules slow down as the beverage cooled.
Sarah Yadin
Sarah Yadin
Civilian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Blackburne Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Dan resisted the urge to raise his eyebrow at the body language. Sudden loss of control wasn't the hallmark of a contractor (at least none he'd known). Her answer clarified the situation, though. It had been her.

"It's improved since you stopped all the blood loss and recovered the lost weight," Dan attempted to recover, "Good to see you alive and back in the field. It was a little touch and go with you in the helo for a while."

Okay, she was a tough emotional molotov cocktail, to be able to survive that.
Daniel Blackburne
Daniel Blackburne

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Yadin Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Sarah swallowed, her eyes glassed over.

"I don't remember the helicopter."

After a moment's pause she looked up at him with as much of a smile as she could manage.

"I never did get to thank any of you...sorry I tried to kill you for your trouble."
Sarah Yadin
Sarah Yadin
Civilian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Blackburne Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:27 am

"Frankly, I'm surprised you remember anything. Most people I've seen in conditions like that don't. Part of the PTSD in some cases - the memory blocks it out to protect the rest of the mind from the trauma. Like the blackout with a concussion, I reckon, but not a physical thing. A neuroscientist might be able to explain it," Dan rumbled, then sighed, "You would be surprised how many people go for their rescuers when they're exhausted, scared and disoriented from all the smoke and flashbangs. At least in my experience anyway. Civilian police'll tell a different story."
Daniel Blackburne
Daniel Blackburne

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Yadin Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:51 am

"I remember enough. Some I was told afterward and my mind sort of filled in the blanks. The rest are nightmares."

She took a sip of cold tea and winced before setting it down.

"I wasn't confused. I thought you were there to..." She swallowed. "Nevermind. So, how did you get posted here of all places? I know I'm here for protection. Don't tell me Adir contracted you. He would do something like that."

Though, if her uncle had sent him to protect her he probably would have told him who she was. She wasn't really thinking on all thrusters. She just tried to make awkward conversation slightly less so, all the while staring at the folder in between them.

What did Adir discover? Was she responsible? Had she really made that big of a mistake? What would her punishment be? Should she await a hit--no, Adir would probably see exile as enough.

So many questions gave her a headache.

Sarah Yadin
Sarah Yadin
Civilian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Blackburne Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:01 pm

"Ah, nightmares. A good job's final gift to a soldier," Dan half-sneered, "I prefer the nights I don't dream, to be honest."

Dan nodded to himself before responding to her next point, "If I'd been there to kill you, I had a rifle to do the job. We don't live in a fantasy comic book world where Wolverine can get in close and make himself feel useful by guttin' someone every so often. And ah... no, Adir did not contact me. I wound up here because of a thing I can only call the Kashmir Incident."
Daniel Blackburne
Daniel Blackburne

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Yadin Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm

"I don't fear death."

Sarah almost snorted a laugh--kill her? If he'd been there to kill her she would have welcomed him with open arms.

"Kashmir, huh? I guess the rumors were true then?"

She knew things through connections back home. Reading reports was about the only thing that kept her sane during the long months of her recovery. She hadn't been sent to SGC right away. Her exile had only happened once Adir thought life in Israel too...volatile.

That was as good a word as any for Malachi ben-Ashur.

Of course sending her to fight aliens with strangers was also a sort of volatile. Wasn't recovery supposed to mean rest?

He knew she wasn't one for resting, and it was better that she fight alien snake-heads than have to constantly wonder if Mal was going to snap that night or not.

Sarah sighed, pulling herself from her internal tangent.

"Not exactly what we were trained for, is it?"

Sarah Yadin
Sarah Yadin
Civilian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Blackburne Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 pm

"You can put the bravado away, ma'am, and leave those of us with chest hair to talk like we think with it. I've been close to death and he and I are old friends. I watch his kids every second Saturday," Dan rumbled, scratching his chin, "A man, or woman, tells you he or she isn't afraid to die means one of three things. One, that person is dead, so are you and there really is an afterlife. Two, that person is lying to themselves. Or three, that person is a Gurkha. You don't look like a little Nepalese man with a big Nepalese knife so that rules out the third option, I can't verify or disprove the first so it's that or you need to re-evaluate your position as a field operator. Because if you're genuinely not afraid to die, you're not mentally fit for the field and that's not something I take kindly to having to share my workspace with."

"As for rumours about Kashmir, I don't know what you do or don't know. My money's on the Chinese report unless Mossad somehow got five people together at the same time to open a vault at an address I'm pretty sure doesn't actually exist," Dan went on, "Because that's where the only copy of the British report I know of is, aside from my own memory of the incident. Though all the same it wouldn't surprise me if some puke left his laptop on the train for anyone to pick up and your boys got to him before Six."

"I could say it's not what I've been trained for but in the RWW and CRW we're thrown in against experimental equipment all the time. Things that Russia never meant to leave the prototype stage or things some Chechen or Serb turned loose on the world after cobbling them together in his damn basement," Dan rambled, "Or that run in Pakistan where we thought we were dealing with a dirty bomb, turned out to be a gas attack. Either way, twelve men weren't prepared to have a shock and awe campaign rammed into our ring pieces, 'scuse the language. You know at least one account of the rest."
Daniel Blackburne
Daniel Blackburne

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Yadin Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Sarah's eyes flared for a moment as if she could ignite the napkin in front of her with a simple glance.

"You forget the last category--why should I fear death when I've already lived through hell?"

Time to change the subject. Another lecture on her mental readiness and she was going to try and stab him again.

"It might have been the Chinese--then again, we might have had a man inside. Either way, all I know is that it made the "X-Files" pile my uncle likes to collect. How do you think he found out about this place? The IOA certainly didn't let him on this. I think they are still quite annoyed with him for finding their little secret."

Her eyes locked on the folder again.

Part of her wanted him to read it and then give her the cliff notes.

"It is a challenge for me here, not what I expected to do with my career--but I am finding I like it. I wish sometimes there was work to do that was a little more my alley."

She sighed with a slight curl of her lips.
Sarah Yadin
Sarah Yadin
Civilian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Blackburne Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:51 am

"If you'll excuse my bluntness, fear of death is a key factor in a functioning survival instinct. If you don't have one of those, I'm going to have to slap whoever cleared you for duty, just on principle," Dan chewed on his tongue as he thought to himself, "If it wasn't for fear, nine in ten people wouldn't get out of bed in the morning. Absence of fear is not bravery, it is clinical insanity and or profound psychopathy. Bravery is control of that fear. And it's something you should probably try to remember."

Dan resisted the urge to roll his eyes - everyone had inside men in every agency, mostly because everyone was so concerned with the chain of command and their own progression that they leaked like a colander and haemmorhaged like a chainsaw cut, "The IOA is mismanaged bureaucracy at it's finest. Shower after shower of chain-of-command, favour-trading, back-scratching, ego-stroking cocksuckers," he did roll his eyes this time, and threw in an unnecessary, but illustrative gesture for good measure.

"I've found having a hobby helps," he shrugged.

"So why bring the folder? What else do you want to know?" Dan sighed when her attention focused on the file again.
Daniel Blackburne
Daniel Blackburne

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Yadin Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Sarah glared at him over her cold tea.

"I have survival instincts enough. If I weren't fit, it wouldn't be here. Death doesn't scare me--things worse than death..."

Her voice trailed off and she stared deep into her drink. The chair legs scraped loudly on the linoleum as she suddenly got to her feet, crossed the room to refill her tea, and returned.

His comment on the IOA actually make her smirk.

"Well, sailing isn't exactly possible in the mountains--so my hobby is kind of useless."

Sarah tapped her fingers on the envelope and sighed, catching his eyes.

"I want to know It wasn't my fault."
Sarah Yadin
Sarah Yadin
Civilian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down